the WORLDby how you
Second Hand Shopping
Does changing the world sound a bit overwhelming? Click the links below to learn how you can change the world a little at a time, just by doing some shopping!
Shopping second hand can also help change the world. Buying second hand prevents more products from being mass-produced in sweatshops. Buying second hand also helps the environment by keeping unwanted products out of landfills. Plus, many second hand stores also raise money for charities. Since I cannot always find (or afford!) ethically made products, I frequently rely on second hand purchases. Read below for tips on getting started!
1. Do a google search or ask friends and family for recommendations on
local thrift stores. Bonus if you find one that raises money for a cause
you believe in!
2. For higher end used clothing, find a local clothing swap (or start
one!), try a consignment shop or check out Silkroll.
3. Shop an online thrift store, such as ThredUP.
4. If you have kids, find someone to pass on outgrown clothes to, and find
someone to do the same for your kids. (With six growing children, I am
not sure what I would do without hand-me-downs!)
5. Use an online service like Offer Up to find people selling their used
furniture, electronics and more in your area.
6. For used books, games and DVDs try Half Price Books (or, if you are lucky
enough to have one in your hometown like me, go check it out!)
7. Try garage sales. If you have the time on a sunny weekend, you can find
lots of great deals and meet people in your community :)